Baking Bread can be so satisfying but sometimes so scary! Often we don’t have the time or the flour and think proving dough can take too long.
There are some great mixes available that can make bread making easier and quite satisfying. Usually the reason they work so well is the flours have a higher protein content and is what makes that bread chewy – the satisfying bite that is what we experience when we bite in – not like that soft texture of cake.
One supplier from South Australia is Lauke who manafacturer a very nice variety of breads. These can be easily purchased on the supermarket shelves. It is a local mill that was established by German immigrants and I believe is still family owned today.
We can make bread easily by following these tips.
1. Follow the manufacturers instructions
2. Allow to prove bread in a greased bowl – and cover with plastic wrap or tea towel .
3. Ideal temperature for proving bread is about 28c and a moist environment is good
4. When you do not have enough time to prove during the day – I suggest proving in a refrigerator over night – just makes sure it is at room temperature at least one hour for baking.
5. Kneading is an important function with this style of bread – try using a food mixer like kitchen aid or the knead function on a thermomix.
6. Try adding nuts and herbs for extra flavour
You can make loaves or rolls
Here is a good recipe for bread with dates and walnuts