It was time for a quick sunday night burger after flying back from a weekend in sunny Sydney . It is such a beautiful city to be a tourist, I had a wonderful time eating and seeing great friends Trish, Gayle ,Mark and Andrea.
I really do love a great burger and Steve, Olivia and myself headed to our local burger joint . Its a delicious quick meal – a nice sweet meat patty, a soft flavoursome bun, fresh salad ingredients and most importantly some caramelised onion.
Why then do so many cafes and restaurant’s get it so wrong? – sometimes they are dry and lacking with flavour. My girls love to eat at Grilled and their burgers are extremely good.
What makes a great Ham Burger ??
1. Good bread – sourdough, or even good turkish bread . The bread needs to be slightly soft, chewy with great flavour but not too toasted that it is crusty
2. A great meat patty – I love making minced chicken patty – a mixture of thigh and breast for flavour and lots of fresh herbs.
3. Flavour, Flavour with a good chutney, great mayonnaise,great tasting tomato sauce.
4. Fresh lettuce, maybe herbs, fresh salad ingredients.
5. Caramelised onion or onion jam
Here is a recipe for Onion Jam.