The Humble desert “Pavlova” is a firm favourite in our household. Zoe and Olivia are happy to whip one up and even happier to deftly consume in one sitting .
Once you have followed a few cooking rules, you too can comfortably make a pavlova. Sadly I see many recipes with very high oven temperatures, which a desert like pavlova, does not tolerate for the complete cooking time.
1. Ensure egg whites have no traces of egg yolk,beat in a clean metal or glass bowl
2. Older egg whites give a better whipping result
3. Egg whites freeze well and become more glutinous which makes them even better for preparing meringues etc
4. Ensure egg whites are at room temperature
5. Dissolving the sugar is the key essential step – when adding the sugar beat slowly and add sugar very slowly
6. Start oven at a higher temperature of 150c, leave pavlova to cook for approximately 30 minutes, then turn down to at least 120c for the balance of 45 minutes – leave to cool in the oven overnight
Most importantly serve with fresh cream and lots of fruit like berries, mango, passionfruit and enjoy.